Are you thinking about driving for Lyft in New York City? No problem! While the process of becoming a Lyft driver isn’t tricky in itself, ensuring that you and your vehicle meet the standards is worth paying attention to before transporting passengers. So, what are the vehicle requirements to drive for Lyft in NYC, you ask? Continue reading to learn more.
While the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) monitor all vehicle standards in NYC, it’s essential to note the following:
- Vehicle Age: The age of the vehicle must be from 2006 or beyond and must have passed a TLC inspection.
- Doors: Your car should have four fully operational doors.
- Seating and Seatbelts: Including the driver’s seat, vehicles must have five to eight seats that comfortably seat multiple passengers at a time. All Lyft vehicles should have a minimum of five seatbelts and a maximum of eight.
- License Plate: The vehicle must contain a New York or New Jersey license plate to qualify as Lyft transportation.
Apart from the basic requirements, it is critical to note that Lyft does not consider some of the following subcompact vehicles as qualifying methods of transport:
- Chevrolet: Volt, Spark, Sonic, Aveo, Aveo5, Metro
- Ford: Fiesta
- Hyundai: Accent
- Daewoo: Lanos
- Scion: xD
- Pontiac: G3
- Kia: Rio5, Rio 5-Door, Rio Cinco, Rio
- Mazda: Mazda 2
- MINI: Cooper S Hardtop, Cooper S Countryman Hybrid, Cooper S Countryman All4 Hybrid, Cooper S Countryman All4, Cooper S Countryman, Cooper S Clubman, Cooper S, Cooper Hardtop, Cooper Countryman Hybrid, Cooper Countryman, Cooper Clubman, Cooper
There are specific vehicle requirements to drive for Lyft in NYC. However, you don’t have to search for a vehicle on your own. Here at Fast Track Mobility, we have a wide selection of TLC rentals in NYC that meet Lyft’s standards. Keep in mind that you will need to provide a valid DMV license, a TLC license, and be at least 21 years of age at the time of applying. Please explore our website today!