Do you need a TLC license to drive for Uber in New York? If so, how do you get one? These are great questions to ask upon starting your journey as a rideshare partner, and they can provide an outline of all the subsequent steps you’ll need to take to get there. Here’s what to know about TLC licenses, whether you’ll need one to drive for Uber, and what to expect when you’re applying for one.
What Is a TLC License, and Do You Need One?
A taxi and limousine commission (TLC) license is a single New York State license that allows you to drive a yellow or green taxi, a black car, livery, or a limousine. Uber requires most drivers around the world to meet only their basic requirements, but cities such as New York require rideshare drivers to obtain TLC licenses before transporting passengers.
TLC License Requirements
To obtain your TLC license in New York city, you must meet these standards:
- You must be at least 19 years of age.
- When applying, you must provide the appropriate documentation that verifies your identity. Proper documentation includes a valid government-issued photo ID and a valid social security number.
- Applicants must provide their chauffeur’s license. A chauffeur’s license is provided by the DMV, coming in classes A, B, C, and E.
- You must provide a summary of your driving record covering, at minimum, two years before the date of your TLC license application.
- Applicants must meet physical and mental fitness requirements for the job duties.
- You must be familiar with the geography, rules, and regulations of the New York City TLC license and with New York State vehicle and traffic laws.
- Applicants must complete and pass a drug test.
- Applicants must undergo fingerprinting.
- When applying for TLC licenses, applicants must hold a current certificate that states their completion of a defensive driver’s course.
How Can You Get a TLC License?
You can obtain your TLC license once you’ve successfully filled out the online application and submitted all the documentation. Next steps include completing a 24-hour taxi course and passing the exam. Once you’ve passed the test, your new license will ship to the address on file.
Given the information provided, the answer is yes, you need a TLC license when driving for Uber in NYC—and it’s essential to know how to get one. It’s also vital to note that Uber does not cover the costs and fees of the TLC application process. However, once you become a rideshare driver, you’ll have the opportunity to earn that money back!
Once you obtain your TLC license, we at Fast Track Mobility encourage you to contact us for all your vehicle needs. We provide a wide selection of TLC cars for rent in Queens, NY, at an affordable price.