Becoming a rideshare driver is pretty straightforward. You can apply to Uber or Lyft, fulfill the requirements, and start your journey. However, in cities such as NYC, you’ll need to complete the additional step of applying and qualifying for a TLC license. What is this documentation, and what are the costs of a TLC license? What are the requirements in NYC when applying for one? If you’re curious to find out more, please continue reading below.
What Is a TLC License?
In 1971, the NYC Taxi, Limousine, and Taxi Commission prompted regulating and licensing of all taxis operating in the area. They made it a requirement to transport passengers within the city’s limits. Having a TLC is an obligatory step in the driver application process, and it gives passengers reassurance since they know they’ll be traveling with a qualified driver.
How Much Does a TLC License Cost?
While the base cost of a three-year TLC license is $252, you can expect to fulfill additional fee payments during the application process. From drug testing fees to fingerprinting and photos, the total cost of a TLC license can range between $600 to $700.
TLC Requirements in NYC
In order to qualify for a TLC license, you’ll need to complete the appropriate TLC application forms and provide proof of the following:
- A driver must have a valid NYS driver’s license provided by the DMV. The license must be of Class A, B, C, or E.
- Must provide proof of being at least 19 years of age at the time of application and have a valid social security number.
- All applicants must undergo a medical exam under a licensed physician to state they are “fit to hold license.”
- All applicants must undergo and pass a drug test.
- Applicants must take a 24-hour TLC class and complete and pass an exam at the end of the course.
- Applicants must take a defensive driving course.
Now that you’re aware of TLC license costs and requirements in NYC, you’ll be better prepared on your journey of becoming a rideshare driver. Consider reading more on TLC licenses and the appropriate application steps if you’re interested in being a rideshare driver in NYC. The more you know ahead of time, the faster the application process will go.
When it comes to TLC rentals in NYC, consider us at Fast Track Mobility. We have a wide array of approved vehicles that can help you get started on your ridesharing journey.